Monday, August 16, 2010

How do you deal with a break-up with your kids?

When my daughters' father and I broke it off, it was as big of a deal as this, as he has never really been in their lives, so they have never really been affected by his abstinence.





But recently my boyfriend and I broke up, we were together for over a year. He met my kids, we had met each others families, the whole thing. This was suppose to be it, felt like it. Well it ended, for the better. But my daughters, who are 5, became very fond of him. I just don't know how to break it to them, they have already been through a lot within the past year, and then this to top it off. I wouldn't have ever introduced one another if I did not think it would last, as one of my daughters is a extremely sensitive child.





Does anyone have an experience with this, and how did you handle it??How do you deal with a break-up with your kids?
My mother and father divorced when I was one years old; I'm 20 now.


They were a young couple - Giving birth at age nineteen, my mom was still in the process of slating out her own future so you could say my mother and I some-what grew up together. She did a wonderful job in raising me...


I was four years old when my mother introduced me to her first boyfriend since the divorce. They moved in with each other and gave me my own little room. I developed a very close relationship with him and when I was 6 1/2 years old they broke it off. I was upset at first. My mother handled it by actively communicating with me, which I think is wise.


She let me vent to her and told me it was okay and perfectly natural that I felt this way. She told me it would be hard for both of us, but we would get through it. She taught me how to be strong and to learn from my mistakes; pass the bad things in life and retain the good. She also told me the reasons why the relationship ended and expressed her personal feelings.


It's been fourteen years since the break up, and my mother has re-married (going on 9 years). We still keep in distant contact with her ex, he hasn't been a major male figure in my life or anything but he's always been a welcomed guest to our events. My family jokes about my high school graduation saying I was probably the only kid who had their mother's husband, ex. husband, and ex. boyfriend in the audience.


I would recommend communicating with your kids. Portray a positive mind set to let them know this kind of stuff happens in life and it is a learning experience. Let them communicate to you as well and answer any of there questions in a mature manner. Communication is key! Hope that helps :) Good luck!How do you deal with a break-up with your kids?
haha i think you meant absence not abstinence lolll. Sorry...anyway yea i had experience with it, theres not really an easy way to do it except say so and so wont be living with us anymore, but they will still be your friend etc.





Edit: It gave me a good laugh anyway LOL
I'm a 15 year old girl. When I was 5-14, my mom had 4 boyfriends (all at separate times, she didn't have 4 at once!) that lived in the house and I got attached to. She told me to treat them like my father. Every time I got too attached, she would break up. Yes, it sucks, and it's hard for kids to deal with. But you need to just do it and get over it, and for the love of god just explain the full story to your kids. Adults don't give little kids enough credit. They're a lot smarter than you think. Just tell them, explain it to them as if they were your equals. Tell them that they can still talk to your ex if they want, I still talk to my mom's latest ex from time to time. Life is life and the more you try to shelter your kids the harder it'll be for them when they're my age and older.

No comments:

Post a Comment